Tuesday morning we stayed home and watched the Pioneer Day parade on television, Pioneer Day is a state holiday in Utah. If you haven't noticed yet from reading my blog I am LDS, otherwise known as Mormon. The early members of the church were forced out of their previous homes in Illinois and drove wagon carts and/or hand carts acrossed the country with all their belongings to eventually settle in the Salt Lake Valley on July 24th 1847. Following quote about Pioneer Day was found on wikipedia:
Pioneer Day is an official holiday celebrated on July 24 in the U.S. state of Utah,[1] with some celebrations in regions of surrounding states originally settled by Mormon pioneers.[2][3] It commemorates the entry of Brigham Young and the first group of Mormon pioneers into the Salt Lake Valley on July 24, 1847,[4] where the Latter-day Saints settled after being forced from Nauvoo, Illinois,[5] and other locations in theeastern United States.[6] Parades, fireworks, rodeos, and other festivities help commemorate the event. Similar to July 4th, most governmental offices[1] and many businesses are closed on Pioneer Day.[citation needed]
In addition to being an official holiday in Utah, Pioneer Day is considered a special occasion by many members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church).[7][8] On Pioneer Day, some Latter-day Saints walk portions of the Mormon Trail or reenact entering the Salt Lake Valley by handcart.[9] Latter-day Saints throughout the United States[10][11] and around the world may celebrate July 24 in remembrance of the LDS Churches' pioneer era, with songs, dances, potlucks, and pioneer related activities.[12][13]
I think that quote sums things up pretty good. After watching the parade, my mom and I went shopping to pick up some items for the baby shower that we were getting ready to throw for my sister that upcoming weekend. In my head I had imagined a fun tablecloth that the gifts would sit on. I didn't find any fabric at the store that matched what I was imagining, so I decided to make a cute chevron tablecloth out of burlap fabric, masking tape and spray paint. It was a bit tedious when it came to taping up the fabric. Rodney made a stencil for which we would cut the tape (my job) and then he lined it up evenly and placed the zig zags on the fabric. Once we had everything lined up I spray painted it. I will show the end result on my baby shower post. It turned out perfect!taping the burlap
the 2 yards of fabric took every last drop of my spray paint...shew! Glad I had enough.
Peeling off the tape! (I didn't peel off the tape until that evening after we got back from Aunt Nedra's, probably about 10 hrs later.)
We ended up being able to get together with Rodney's Aunt Nedra and some of his cousins and their kids that evening. All of the following pictures are of family from Rodney's Dads side. It was funny watching the kids play together because my girls were the only girls there. All the other cousins were boys.
Generally I hate posting 'eating' pictures, but the following are ones that Rodney took and are the only ones he has of his cousins. The three sons pictured below are all sons of Rodney's Uncle Evan (Evan is Rodney's dads brother).
Rodney's cousin James (again, I am sorry for posting an eating pic...only one we got)
The guy on the right is Rodney's cousin Rick and two of his sons
Rodney's cousins: Brendan and John. (Brendan is Rodney's Uncle Jims son)
Aunt Nedra reading the Build A Bear book to Pais and Copper
I love this!
Allen, Cousin Michael (Nedra's son) and Rodney.
Bentley playing video games with the boys
My favorite part of the evening was watching Aunt Nedra play Build a Bear with Paisley. Too cute! Thanks Aunt Nedra for putting on this special evening where we were able to have a great time visiting with everyone!













No comments:
Post a Comment