After arriving home from our trip from NYC and Washington DC I made a point of taking some good pictures of our Halloween costumes even though it was mid November. You should have seen our neighbors when we were all decked out standing there posing for the camera. People were driving by and commenting...it was really funny. I completely forgot to draw the cute little pink circles on the girls faces that I had done when we were in NYC though, bummer! I kind of photoshopped it into the last group photo.
Taffyta's car in the movie
Taffyta's car was the first one that Rodney started to build. The majority of this car was built out of blue camping mats purchased at WalMart. Rodney made his own pattern for the three cars and did such a fantastic job! The wheels were attached by pool noodles we had in the garage, and we used foam paper for the circles and lines. Everything was glued together with hot glue. On the top of the wheels and the top of the car we used red translucent paper (vellum) purchased from Hobby Lobby. I hand painted her car pink all over, and used a lighter pink on the seat of the car. Both Bentley and Paisley's car we used children's car seat straps to stap over their shoulders to keep them on.
Taffyta Muttonfudge
Bentley's costume I found on ebay (the tracksuit). I purchased the pink hat on Amazon and the white wig on ebay. I sewed some green fabric to the top of the hat (on our way to NYC) to look like a stem. When I was finished with the hat I sprayed it all over with spray glitter. The pink boots we already had and she wore some white winter gloves.
Vanellope's car in the movie
Vanellope's car was also made out of the blue camping mats. We spray painted the car different colors because that is how it looks in the movie. We had some brown fleece that we draped over the top of the car. We cut out lots of star and sprinkle shapes out of foam paper to cascade over the top. We also had some pink fleece that was draped along it as well. Rodney sculpted the front headlights to look like the ones in the movie (peppermint and a gum drop). We then twisted the wheels with pool noodles and cut small slashes in them to look like the movie. I spray painted several different colors along the pool noodles to make them look like gummy worms. For the hubcaps I hand painted different cookie and candy designs onto some poster board. Once the car was finished I spray painted it all over with glitter. The pipes coming out of the side were made from mailing tubes that Rodney taped in a spiral manner so that I could spray paint them different colors. Once the tape was removed from the tubes the white color was there. The wheel casings were made from huge ice cream plastic containers.
Vanellope Von Schweetz
Paisley's turquoise hoodie and brown skirt I found on ebay. The tights I purchased from Amazon and we already had the shoes.
The hair candy I purchased on etsy from a lady who sculpted the candy shapes out of polymer clay. We just used a red piece of felt to wrap around her ponytail to look like the twizzler from the movie.
Aven's car is the only one that I could find a 'before' picture of. This really shows the foundation of the car...it was built out gray foam squares. I found a website where a guy built Vanellope's car and he suggested using exercise mats and I asked him a couple questions about construction which was a really big help. Rodney sculpted a big crown to go on the back of the stroller. This car was adorable! We had the intentions of making all the little extras that went on his car but we just didn't have enough time. I painted the car with a pale pink color and the crown parts in gold. I hand painted the wheels. On the way up to NYC I cut out the clouds that went on the side of the car and glued on some gold glitter puffy paint. Those totally got torn up on the trip though so there aren't any great pictures with them.
You can kind of see the clouds on the car here
King Candy from the movie
For Aven's costume I had his crown specially made by the lady who made Vanellope's hair candy, which was also made out of polymer clay. His shoes I already had and glued some red pom poms to the top. I had tights already from my baby girls. My mom made his satin bloomers. I used a white onesie and sewed a little vest onto the front of it with a sparkly button. The purple tuxedo jacket with tails I made my own pattern for and sewed it from scratch out of purple velvet. I never really got a great picture of it. I sewed 2 gold buttons to the back of it right above the tails. I also made a red vellum bow tie that he wore for like 2 seconds because he kept grabbing at it because it bothered him. The aviator cap we had and I glued some fabric from a stuffed animal that I had used for last years halloween costume. (It was a sheep dog). I glued a piece to each side of the hat to look like a balding man.
This picture taken in NYC shows his costume a little better
Copper's costume is obviously the least complicated. I purchased it on Amazon...she is our little candy :) Everything else we already had.

Wreck-It Ralph in movie
Rodney's wig was purchased on ebay. I had a hard time finding short spiky wigs that would work and then I was inspired to look up wolfman costumes, and there you have it. His hands we already had, which were hulk hands that I hand painted pink and then spray painted flesh color. The feet he made out of camping mats and the toes were pool noodles that he sculpted. They fit right on top of his shoes. I painted the feet pink and spray painted on top of that the flesh color just like the hands. His shirt was purchased on amazon. His overalls were from his Halloween costume last year when he dressed up as Ludo from the movie Labyrinth. Rodney cut off the huge furry tail and made them into overalls.
Fix-It Felix in movie
My shirt was purchased at goodwill, and I already had the boots and jeans. The gloves were purchased on Amazon along with the blue hat and hammer. I had gold spray paint that I used on the hammer. The tool belt was purchased at a local hardware store. I found a blog that someone posted about throwing a Wreck-it Ralph birthday party and the mom listed a website where I could find the patches that I got for the hat and shirt that are identical to what Felix has in the movie
And here is a picture of the whole family dressed up! Such a huge undertaking but I think it all turned out really well!



































1 comment:
Whoa! This is EPIC! Love the builds. Great execution. You guys took it to a whole new level.
Post a Comment